Thursday, 7 June 2007

Tawatha Agee


Tawatha Agee is unquestionably one of the best R&B singers of all time. She figured as the lead vocalist for the funk/soul group Mtume (em-too-may), founded by percussionist James Mtume

Mtume is best remembered for their 1983 sexy and stimulating mega-hit ‘Juicy Fruit’, which she wrote (see video below). ‘Juicy Fruit’ was a UK top 10 hit and held down the number one R & B spot, in the States, for eight weeks.

Tawatha's rich and soulful vocals can be also heard on landmark albums by Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway, Stephanie Mills, Angela Winbush, Phyllis Hyman, Luther Vandross, B.B & Q., Levert, Kashif, Keni Burke, Aretha Franklin, David Bowie, Celine Dion, R Kelly, Sting and The O'Jays.

Tawatha's only album was 'Welcome to My Dream', which was issued by Epic in 1987 and was produced by James Mtume and band members Ed Moore and James Batton. Disappointingly, this great album wasn’t given the publicity it deserved.

Mtume - Juciy Fruit





9 comments:

soultraindancer said...

Yes...One of the best out there

wienna said...

Never knew dis was originally done in d 80s. I thought it's done by Biggie. Lovely track.

Vanilla said...

Always read your blog, though I don't leave comments. This took me back to the 90's when my girlfriend discovered 'juicy fruit' - she constantly played it and sang it. I almost caused a mini murder!

Thanks for the memory

ababoypart2 said...

@soultraindancer - True, she is such a great singer
@wienna - So many covers these days. But this was the original version. Lovely track
@vanilla - Thanks for dropping by, there is still more to come. This song is just one of the best out there. I am trying to get a mini-interview with Tawatha...

Refinedone said...

Nice one..love the music of the 80's...
@ wienna, lol!! you made me feel old :)..and God knows I'm not( well would like to think)

I love all kinds of music( as long as it's not vulgar)..so I shall be back.

YAZMAR said...

OMG she is such a legend....her voice was like butter....gosh-I love Juicy and You Me & He.....hmmm

Anonymous said...

I am trying to find the one album she made...i found a tape several years ago (16 years ago) in an old record shop...Man that ape was the bomb, she had a song called 'thigh ride' if anyone can find were I could download it...people sleep on Tawatha and Mutume!!

Anonymous said...

yep ... i consider this one the biggest hit of all time. cannot get tired of playing it since the eighties and, yep, we used to smoke and even drink on the dancefloor then. it was cool to do that ... LOL

who would have thought a time would come when THAT would look disgusting?

Anonymous said...

brvjtyauwdpzipyjtvdqw. http://www.acnetreatment2k.com/ - acne treatment
gswlqy